> Caps v Panthers
racerkel
post Mar 19 2017, 21:10
Post #1

Junior
Group Icon

Group: SNL
Member No.: 1,209

2 good games with similar outcomes. Even our last minute goals were very similar and really well taken. We're not quite good enough ( how Manchester and Dundee are above us I don't know--- ok they keep beating us but I like our players! )but I have to say that Panthers for a team that won a European trophy were disappointing and Belfast remain the best team I've seen this season. Yesterday was sympathetically and well refereed by Toby Craig ( I never thought I would write that! ) but tonight was the downside with Halas who mystified players and spectators alike. Maybe this season will be part of his learning process.
Pavel remains a top class player as does Johnston, in my view.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Arthur Chance
post Mar 19 2017, 21:20
Post #2

Junior
Group Icon

Group: SNL
Member No.: 3,297

You just beat me to it racerkel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I wasn't at the game so can't comment.
However would like to say some crafty fixture planning by Panthers wanting to come up here for a double header at the end of this season when they probably thought we'd have a weakened team by now!

I'm pleased we gave them two close games.

+Quote Post
5on3
post Mar 19 2017, 23:57
Post #3

Junior
Group Icon

Group: Junior
Member No.: 57,674

Battled hard both nights, two crazy endings to both games as we tried to force overtime and nearly did on both occasions. The only thing that separated the sides was a bit of clinical finishing and the ability to punish mistakes. We made three or four tonight and they scored off most of them.

The core of this team is good enough and deserving to stick around for another year. The vast majority, I fear, won't. Still it's been a pleasure to watch Vorobyev this season - he's a class above and on his night has to be up there with amongst the best in the league.

But think we've had a few gems this year. Tipoff and Wilgosh are underrated and Schultz has been excellent. Can't find fault with any of them - perhaps the only criticism is why Grigors was a healthy scratch more often than not this season when greater rotation may have been the better plan.

Interested to see if Dobron gives Marr a game next weekend, and we may as well give Ferguson some minutes too. Recruitment should be starting now and if I was them I'd be doing everything I could to convince as many of this year's squad to stick around.

This post has been edited by 5on3: Mar 19 2017, 23:58

+Quote Post
Chester Hamilton
post Mar 20 2017, 09:29
Post #4

EPL
Group Icon

Group: EIHL
Member No.: 1,062

QUOTE (racerkel @ Mar 19 2017, 21:10 ) *
2 good games with similar outcomes. Even our last minute goals were very similar and really well taken. We're not quite good enough ( how Manchester and Dundee are above us I don't know--- ok they keep beating us but I like our players! )but I have to say that Panthers for a team that won a European trophy were disappointing and Belfast remain the best team I've seen this season. Yesterday was sympathetically and well refereed by Toby Craig ( I never thought I would write that! ) but tonight was the downside with Halas who mystified players and spectators alike. Maybe this season will be part of his learning process.
Pavel remains a top class player as does Johnston, in my view.

I thought the first game was like a training match and Toby officiated accordingly. There was little for him to call (though he didnt call 3 or 4 blatant calls) as no one, and I mean no one, done anything. I agree with the Panthers in the European part. Thats probably the worst Panthers team I can recall and probably says more about the teams they beat in Europe.

I know I'm likely on my own, but I dont mind Halas as a ref. You know what you're getting, especially with stick calls. I didnt think there were too many headscratchers last night tbh. The main difference with him and certain 'baffling' calls, is he uses the full rulebook and calls things that others wouldnt, for example, face off violations. I'd say thats more a ref that knows his stuff. There's a damn sight worse in the league than him.

I cant agree with the best team at MIR this season. For me, that was the league champions. I've seen a lot of both and Cardiff are undisputedly the best team in this league and arguably the best team the EIHL has seen since its creation.

QUOTE (Arthur Chance @ Mar 19 2017, 21:20 ) *
You just beat me to it racerkel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I wasn't at the game so can't comment.
However would like to say some crafty fixture planning by Panthers wanting to come up here for a double header at the end of this season when they probably thought we'd have a weakened team by now!

I'm pleased we gave them two close games.

They always, roughly, have the same games here (though it was a triple header with Dundee). Much like how we're always down there on January 2nd. The team's usually quite keen to get a good few double headers like this in, as it brings in more £££. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

QUOTE (5on3 @ Mar 19 2017, 23:57 ) *
Battled hard both nights, two crazy endings to both games as we tried to force overtime and nearly did on both occasions. The only thing that separated the sides was a bit of clinical finishing and the ability to punish mistakes. We made three or four tonight and they scored off most of them.

The core of this team is good enough and deserving to stick around for another year. The vast majority, I fear, won't. Still it's been a pleasure to watch Vorobyev this season - he's a class above and on his night has to be up there with amongst the best in the league.

But think we've had a few gems this year. Tipoff and Wilgosh are underrated and Schultz has been excellent. Can't find fault with any of them - perhaps the only criticism is why Grigors was a healthy scratch more often than not this season when greater rotation may have been the better plan.

Interested to see if Dobron gives Marr a game next weekend, and we may as well give Ferguson some minutes too. Recruitment should be starting now and if I was them I'd be doing everything I could to convince as many of this year's squad to stick around.

As ever, defensive lapses and horrific line changes cost us. Very poor and had us losing out on at least two points.

I agree with the core of the team (though I'm not as sold on Wilgosh as you are, big fan of Tipoff though). Keeping the core together seems to be a common theme amongst a lot of fans. Thats would suggest, as I've said all season, that coaching has been the issue rather than the team. Lets get a proper coach in (player or bench) and lets see what they can do.

Grigors can only play if he's not working, which is why he often appears to be a 'healthy scratch'. He simply cant make every game, hence why he's our spare.

As an aside, McGrattan. How unbelievably bad is he? Usually, guys that arent that far removed from the NHL, you can see have something about them (Bissonnette being a rather obvious example). He had nothing and it was clear he was getting a bit riled by the constant mocking of him as well. The only thing in his favour is he skates better than the other donkey, Bordeleau.

This post has been edited by Chester Hamilton: Mar 20 2017, 09:32

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2017 - 00:20